Saturday, 29 June 2013

Writing well and update

I know it's been a few days since I last commented on here, but I have been very busy, one with the edits for the book, as they are back from the publisher, exciting right.

As I also work in a pre-school, we are close to the end of the year and the childrens folders have to be ready for those leaving and updated for those coming back in September. One folder can take me around two hours, and I have eight to do.

It is also sad that the writing group in my local area came to an end, and I cannot believe it, but I will always be very grateful for the friends I made, the support I recieved and for making me write outside the box. I may have only attended the group for a little over a year, but it was the best thing I ever did.

A writing group which for me was fun, but scary when I first joined, reading out my work to a bunch of strangers. To hear their feedback, good, or the bad. It was there that I first read the sixth or seventh edited version on Dream World. They liked it, but they had some really good comments to help me improve it. Of course at the time I left my first meeting feeling rather deflated An hour later, I read the notes I had jotted down that they had suggested and thought, they are right, it was then I started to grow a thicker skin, but listened to the comments they gave me, after all this was how we all grow as a writer.

It was also the group that made me stand infront of over sixty, maybe less strangers and read a piece we had written for the reading night. I am not a slow reader, and have been known to speed read. I know its a nervous thing, but I managed it, and found I felt sick, waiting for my turn to stand at the front, and did my best to slow down. Reading Amelia Jackson, as it was titled, a WIP title, I stood, looked out at the faces and took a deep breath. Once I began I knew that it was fine, that I was okay, but I was near enough the last to read, I would have preferred to go at the beginning, to get it over withh, but either way I did it and I am very proud of that.

If I had not done it, I would regrett it, but I do know this, if it ever arises again to read to a group, I will still be nervous, feel sick, but I know I can do it. And so can you, believe in the piece you wrote, practice it. I even recorded myself reading it and played it to myself in the car, it did help, and if I could memorise it, I would have.

For those interested in reading the piece called Amelia Jackson, leave a comment, and I will add it as a post.


1 comment:

  1. I went to that group for six years. The reading night was the best thing I ever did. Six months I worked on Beggar man, recording my voice. Reading it in the park in front of strangers to overcome the nerves on the night. I now have the self belief in myself as a writer. I made some friends for life, Sarah being one of them and although our genre and style are oceans apart, we have a mutual respect for each others work. Five published authors came out of those groups. I wish you every success for the future. Well done!

    ReplyDelete